Wednesday, March 21, 2007

London Marathon 2007: Days 16, 17 & 18

Three days of solid running. yesterday was a hoot. The Missus tried to persuade me not to go out in the snow. Being the resident hardman I refused pointblank to be swayed from my mission. By the time I had changed I had this damp feeling (gear wasn't absolutely dry). I had been chatting on the phone with my mate Mok (better known as Bennie five bellies), a regular feature on this blog, who was just leaving work. I promised him we'd hook up later and I'd accompany him to the Apple Store in Bluewater for a check up on his machine.

Anyway, whilst running miserably up Upney Lane, I shamefully allowed myself to think that I'd probably jack in the run if I saw Mok, who would have ben nearabouts, I would consider hitching a ride. As I was crossing Westrow Drive a green Astra pushed in and parked bang in front of me on the curb. I could hear the driver swear. Being renowned as a nifty dancer , Old snakehips (as they used to call me) bodyswerved effortlessly around the car. 'Expletive off, you expletive expletive' I screamed continuing my run. It was then I heard laughing (familiar) and lo and behold it was Tyrone the getaway driver himself. Anyway, I told him what I had been thinking and when being persuade, stod resolute with a firm no. It was only when he mentioned his Ma (My Gran)had returned from the Motherland, that I relented. I assure readers there was no other reason. I travelled to Mok's, had a slap up chicken and fish finger ensemble before driving his car home, instead of running. I sneaked in and luckily the Missus was upstairs, allowing me to dive into the shower. I emerged to find a banana milkshake waiting on the kitchen counter, which my missus had prepared earlier to help me recuperate energy after such a devastatingly long run. I obliged, couldn't let her go to waste, not to mention that the shake contained enough nourishment to feed the whole population of Bangladesh.

Before leaving for Mok and bluewater I bumped into Khalid Sharif, CEO of Ummah Foods who'd bought me a big box of Ummah choccies. (Just brilliant for my tough marathon regime - I'd promised Kerim, one of my pupils at school that I was on a strict seafood diet. What he didn't know was I had meant SEE FOOD! Geddit? He's not a reader, so I guess I'm safe. I narrated my story to Khalid, laughing , patting myself on a job well done whilst not realising my eldest Ismael was listening. Anyway, Ismael turned whistleblower, and the rest (Ahem) is history.

By the way Adidas haven't been in touch, and no!, nobody's seen the first pics of me modelling my new sports shades. Watch this space!

No comments: