Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hackney horror on the fourth floor

Doing a routine visit today I was confronted by this horror of a spectacle. It shocked me so much I had to take a load of pics. Yes, this is as you see it! Firstly, the landing is on the 4th floor, the railing does not go round as illustrated in the pics and there is a very small spiral staircase, which even a lithe athletic figure like me struggled to walk down.

Secondly, the first step onto the landing is so steep that you have to stoop down. The pics don't depicts this very well but you also have to stopp down to grab the railing and the spiral itself is (honestly) half the size in width of a regular fire escape. Actually, it's little more than ladder space.

Where I visited, which happened to be the house on the end, there was one hell of a manic kid! Apart from kids and young people, what if someone loses their balance? If someone like the postie takes an unlucky stumble then for sure they're going over.

AND the best bit is to come - I rekon if there WAS an emergency, the last route the residents would use is that deathtrap.

Come on Hackney council, sort it out!

No comments: