Monday, April 28, 2008

The colourful antics of Radhi

Beyond the wall he surveys the scene
“Hello there Mr opposition keeper
How’s the wife, the kids?” he asks
As offside he strays deeper

“I used to feature in the school play
“Pretended to be a windmill you know
“Arms outstretched is what I did best
“Gesticulating whilst leaping to and fro”

“I learnt from the wise Scouse Nolan
“During my Trotters stint at the Reebok
“Told me to distract the keeper at a set piece
“The stalemate my presence would unlock”

“Bobbing up and down, up and down
I perfected my silly star jump
I dreamt of the unlucky culprit
Who would be the ultimate prize chump

“With Kev being a Liverpudlian
“I used to listen to the Skip wide eyed
“The irony in this were the sorry victims
“Both halves of Merseyside

“Ungentlemanly conduct” screamed Howard
Rooted Reyna a grim onlooker
Gooooaaal!!!! Scream the Brummie faithful
See ya later sucker!

Number 7
© Emdad Rahman
www.football-poems.com


"I saw the keeper was a bit frustrated and so I thought I could maybe affect his concentration," Jaidi said. "It's something we used to do at Bolton; Kevin Nolan did it all the time. Yes, I learnt it from him, I suppose. Nolan did it a lot and we scored a lot of goals from free-kicks. It's not something I practise on the training ground, I just thought I'd give it a go."

The Independant - Monday 14th April 2008


No comments: