Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Welcome to Great Britain

Emdad Rahman

You couldn’t help but notice. He stood there on his own – poppies on one arm, collection container on the other. Ramrod straight, smartness personified, a pristine set of clothes, a proud man who instantly caught your eye.

A war hero, once a young man who had confronted a powerful menace, had laid his life out to preserve true freedom.

Finding it hard to keep up with my better half, I’d sat down in the shopping mall to rest up my tired limbs. It was a great opportunity to survey my surroundings.

Next to me sat a wheelchair bound deaf woman who I engaged in conversation with as best as possible. She was polite with an ever so friendly face and a beaming smile. I couldn’t help but try to communicate with her. “I really need to get some BSL coaching” I thought, for the second time in 7 days.

“F***k off!” an unladylike voice screeched behind me. It wasn’t at me, nor the deaf woman, nor the kind faced little old lady who had just sat down on my right. Oh no, it was directed at her child; “ You’ve F*****g p*******d me off now” she hissed, her language as foul and grotesque as her physical being.

“Sit the f**k DOWN.” The child, not more than three or four went mute silent. Her doe like eyes met mine and I shamefully averted my gaze, focussing on the Mother. To my shame she stared me down and I again had to look away.

A bustling West Indian woman smiles at me as she catches the attention of the dear next to me, asking if she’s been robbed. She answers in the affirmative. They obviously don’t know each other and this is getting very interesting indeed. It turned out that Columbo like, the deaf lady had signed to the West Indian lady that she'd witnessed the crime when it had happened a few days ago.

The dear on my right turned towards me; “twas was a European lady,” she said and grabbing the hand of a stranger (mine) she guided it to the side of her leather shopping carry trolley. On both sides it had knife slits.

“They had seen me in the post office and had followed me. She (the perpetrator) distracted me by asking for directions in a foreign language. Her accomplice slit the sides but couldn’t get in because of the cardboard lining.

“It didn’t stop them as seeing I was still distracted the accomplice simply opened the top zip, saw the cash notes in plastic wrapping and nabbed what is for many, a weeks wages.

"Shame my only witness was a deaf lady. The cameras here are probably out of order and the security guards are no good.

“Could have been worse – if I’d discovered the plot I could have faced that blade myself.

“I lost £150.00, a lot of money when you’re on limited income” she added.

Welcome to Great Britain! Fast turning into a nanny state. A society that seemingly punishes the hardworking, whilst pandering to the whims of the long term useless.

A society lacking a vital basic ingredient – one that is a yardstick by which all model societies should be measured by - RESPECT!

Standing up I shuffled towards the old war veteran. I dropped a coin in the container as he handed me a poppy – “Here you go son” he said. Thank you for supporting us and have a very good day.”

“You’re a dying breed sir”, I muttered, sauntering off to look for my wife.

No comments: