Friday, May 08, 2009

The sad face of Britain!

















"Do us a favour Guvnor," he reached out and requested as I took the initial snap. "I'll turn the other way, and if you don't mind please leave out my mug - I'm already an embarassment to more people than I'd care to mention."

I came across this sight yesterday on the grassy hill on the corner of Vallance Road and Jack the Ripper's Old Montague Street hangout. It was a very sad scene. "Paul," a Gulf war 1 veteran is the first time I've seen an individual (armed forces member) chewed up and spitted out by the system. This is a man that bled for the flag, for Queen and country. Feted as the "best of the best" whilst fighting on foreign soil, Paul has been abandoned by a system, that is heading for self indulgent meltdown and destruction. A system that indulges the feckless and penalises the grafters. A system in a country with one of the best economies in the world - which if true leads me to ask why so many Brits are emigrating to New Zealand and the land of the baa baas?

"I may be struggling with sky high water bills ( we live on an Island and get charged for water?), utility bills, but at least I have a roof over my head", I remember thinking as I trudged off.

No comments: