Monday, November 09, 2009

Something at the back of the garden

Ismael Rahman

Everyone was asleep on my road and feeling thirsty, I went down to the kitchen for water. Hearing something move behind the garden shed shocked me.
Convinced it was a ghostly something, I slowly got out the torch, deciding to go out into the darkness to check what lay behind the shed.

Instead I shouted “MUM! DAD! I THINK THERES A GHOST BEHIND THE SHED!” My parents came running down and I shakily told them all.

Mum didn’t believe me; “don’t talk such nonsense!” she laughed.
Dad seemed scared although he didn’t admit it; “What’s the point of waking me up? It’s tough being a Premiership footballer!” And back to bed they went.

“Gotta do it all myself,” I muttered. When the house was settled again, I stepped into the garden. It was dark, eerie and there was no light. I wondered if this was the witching hour as the icy wind whispered into my ear.

Slowly creeping towards my fear, I heard rustling and a sniffle. Something was definitely there. My heart raced and I was sweating despite the low temperature. It was too late to call my uncle now. The drumming in my chest became faster and louder till I couldn’t take no more.

Lunging forward fast and round the back of the shed I maniacally shone my torch brightly.
To my astonishment, it was a family of foxes. “Could be worse,” I snarled as I sprinted back to the safety of my warm bed.

No comments: