Sunday, March 14, 2010

History in the making

Zakir Khan’s selection confirms history will be made - Emdad Rahman

Tower Hamlets Conservatives left it late to confirm Zakir Khan as the Prospective Parliamentary candidate for Bethnal Green & Bow.

The final installation of the much anticipated jigsaw now ensures that history will be made when the UK will see the first ever Bangladeshi MP within the hallowed halls of Parliament.

Khan, who is Head of Community Affairs for the Canary Wharf Group Khan was elected at a packed meeting, beating off the challenge of five fellow Conservative party candidates.

The win was greeted with much mirth, cheering and clapping from supporters.

“It is an honour to be elected to serve the people, he said, adding “a huge privilege to be selected as the Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Bethnal Green and Bow.

“My thorough grassroots experience gives me an edge, and I have a genuinely thorough and true understanding of the aspirations and needs of my community.

“I am confident that I can use my experience as a driving force to win Bethnal Green and Bow from Respect.”

“Zakir is a respected community activist,” said Respect leader and fellow candidate Abjol Miah. “I am confident though that Respect has the correct mix of sincerity, hard graft and genuine community engagement to take even larger strides this time round.”

Ajmal Masroor, the LibDem PPC for Bethnal Green and Bow said; “I welcome Zakir to politics. He is new to the tough world of campaigning and meeting voters. As a fellow candidate, I wish him all the best.

Readers were asked about their election aspirations. Sultana from Weavers Ward has confidence in Rushanara Ali; “She’s intelligent, cool and is a great Ambassador for the British and Bangladeshi communities,” she said.

“Rushanara Ali gets my vote all the way.”

University student Afia Begum from Bethnal Green is backing Abjol Miah. “I take nothing for granted in life and the situation could change”, she said.

“I’m excited that we will see the first Bangladeshi Brit in Westminster - I hope Mr Miah wins, he has worked so hard for the community.”

“Ajmal Masroor has a proven track record of leading young people and anti racism campaigns,” said Mostaque Choudhury.

“He provides charismatic leadership to empowering our communities and has the best attributes to awaken the aspirations of our youth.

“By far he is the best candidate,” he added.

“I will vote Abjol Miah, said John, a Bow resident. He is more popular here than many people give him credit for. He’s a sincere man, who will go a long way.”

“Zak Khan is popular across all spheres,” said Shilpi. “His election is a superb move by the Tories and I think he is quietly confident of his prospects.”

Jeremy Hunt MP, the Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport was present as a guest and congratulated Zakir on his candidature, wishing him every success.

Tower Hamlets Tories are expected to put forward a real challenge in the general elections with Councillor Tim Archer tipped for a strong campaign in Poplar and Limehouse. Approximately a third of Councillor Archer’s constituency is made up of Bangladeshi Muslims.