Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Caribbean sunshine at the table

Levi Roots & Emdad Rahman Reggae Reggae

If you are looking to spice up mealtimes Levi Roots’ latest creation gives you the chance to experience Caribbean food, whilst leaving you time to chill out and relax. The musician, chef and “Dragon slayer” has launched a delicious range of Chilled Caribbean Meals which includes dishes such as Jamaican Coconut Chicken Curry, Reggae Reggae Chicken and Caribbean Curried Noodles.

Levi’s latest launch brings the sunshine of the Caribbean to your table, providing a tasty alternative to any mealtime. The range is made with quality ingredients and includes nine dishes to suit different tastes; so everyone can enjoy the spicy flavours of Levi’s Jamaican heritage.

Commenting on his Jamaican Coconut Chicken Curry, Levi said: “I’ve been making coconut chicken curry since way back, it’s based on a traditional coconut rundown recipe but I’ve added a new twist with mangos, aubergines and chillies. Served with rice and peas this is real home style Jamaican cooking which takes me back to my childhood.”

He continued: “I wanted to bring this special recipe out of my kitchen and on to your table, so I’ve played with the recipe to make it perfect, it’s the classic Reggae Reggae taste with chicken, tomato, onions and that original kick of chilli.”
Levi Roots it seems is bringing the sunshine of the Caribbean to the table. “Yes, I am the man that puts sunshine and music into food,” he soundly agrees.

Dragons Den was undoubtedly the springboard for Levi’s success and the ultimate marketing stage for his food range. The latest launch is nine chilled Caribbean meals available at Tesco but Levi initially started with Reggae Reggae Sauce, and now has a range that includes cooking sauces, pasties, burgers and nuts. “And of course I have my cookery books and recent CD launch,” Levi interjects.
The Levi legend was born at the Notting Hill Carnival; “I’ve only missed one in the last 18 years when I was away on tour,” he reminisces.

“I made the sauce in my own kitchen but had so many requests for the secret recipe that I couldn’t keep up with demand, so decided to try and get an investment on the BBC show Dragons’ Den to launch the sauce commercially – and the rest is history.
“I have always loved food, this started for me at an early age when my Grandmother taught me the magic of cooking.”Do you enjoy being labelled the “Dragon slayer”? I ask. “Yes, I love it!” he quips.
Music has been a great inspiration to Levi; “Music is my inspiration, it inspires me to do what I do. And it will hopefully help me build the biggest Caribbean brand this country has ever seen.

“I have much interest from non Caribbean consumers, lots. These are the people I concentrate on. I try to bring the Caribbean to the mainstream.”
“Why Reggae Reggae Chicken?” The answer is rapid – “Because it’s so good I had to name it twice.”

Levi’s success has been nothing short of a whirlwind and he has even been invited to no.10 in recognition of his notable success as a black man in Britain attaining financial achievement through enterprise. Levi equates his success to putting the self into the product. He has a simple secret for his culinary success – “ I just be myself and put myself into my music and my food.

Advising budding entrepreneurs, Levi has sound advice; “Get a good idea, work on your business plan, stay focused and passionate about what you are doing.
“I am not looking to stop and have another book in the pipeline, and as I said before I’d like to build the biggest Caribbean brand this country has ever seen.

“The new Chilled Caribbean Meals range, which includes nine delicious dishes, launched this week and can be found in the chilled food aisle, exclusively at Tesco for 9 months.”

Each meal will retail at £2.99 with an introductory offer of £1 off until 16th June 2010.

Excitedly he adds; “It’s a delicious range of Chilled Caribbean Meals which includes dishes such as Jamaican Coconut Chicken Curry, Reggae Reggae Chicken and Caribbean Curried Noodles. Puerto Rican style Chicken is one of my favourite recipes; the colours and flavours are amazing, similar to Spanish paella. This recipe is made with chicken, rice, peppers and olives, not forgetting some good old scotch bonnet chillies, it’s fabulocious!”

Sadly I can’t share his excitement as the products are not Halal. I can take great lessons from Levi’s approach and phenomenal success.
Levi Roots’ range of Chilled Caribbean Meals encompasses 9 dishes all packaged in the distinctive Levi Roots red, gold and green.

The dishes are: Jamaican Coconut Chicken Curry, Levi's BBQ Chicken, Reggae Reggae Chicken, Puerto Rican style Chicken, Hot Hot Prawn Curry, Caribbean Curried Noodles, Reggae Reggae meatballs, Reggae Reggae pasta chicken and Caribbean Hot Chilli Beef.

1 comment:

LoulouB said...

Is it not halal? For real? But it is suitable for vegetarians and none of the ingredients are derived from animal sources.