Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Giles Hayter: A parallax in sight & sound



Emdad Rahman: Parallax (noun) A perceived shift in the appearance of an object due to a change in viewpoint by the observer.

Giles Hayter has been painting for a mere two and a half years, but within this relatively short period has starred at five exhibitions.


Hayter is a contemporary artist, musician, composer, producer and part time Maths teacher. He has a Mathematics Masters from Oxford, various classical piano grades and no training in art or production. 

His latest exhibition at The Gallery on Redchurch Street is an exhibition exploring visual and aural art and the effect of each on the perception of the other. Hayter offers a broad range of artistic styles - the marked differences in texture, mood, and rhythm accentuate the effects of the parallax.  There is no prescriptive method for how you interact with the exhibition. As a visitor you are invited to explore the parallax with Hayter, and to draw your own conclusions about the effects of art. "During the preparations for this exhibition I have noticed some intriguing effects, and I'm very keen to find out whether they are universal, or if it's just me," said Hayter.


"I've noticed the effects of horizontal and vertical lines , and the effect of a heavy beat on patterning."


Hayter is a Maths whizz and teaches part time in Westminster; "I gave up full time teaching to pursue my artistic projects. I now spend the rest of my conscious life in my Brixton studio." He thus divides his time between his artstudio in Brixton, the electro shed in his flat in Stockwel, and teaching Maths in Westminster.

Despite his short career so far, Hayter has always been interested in "building, breaking and constructing things."

When I visited to view his exhibition in Shoreditch, his delightful Mother was on hand to provide a few memories: "Giles was always artistic," she reminisces. "He won an art award as a schoolboy."

Hayter has been working on this exhibition since May, splitting a ten day week between teaching Maths and his studio commitments. "The summer holidays gave me lots of time, but ufortunately no break for travelling and recharging."

He added: "I'm alright though. My pastime and my artistic projects provide me with all the therapy and rejuvination I need at the moment."

A parallax in sight & sound is open to all, and is free of charge, between 10am and 10pm, Tuesday 2nd November until Sunday 7th November 2010.

There is easy ground floor access to the Gallery directly from Redchurch St. Silent  headphones are available for the duration of your visit, free of charge.

10am-10pm, 2nd-7th November 2010 @ The Gallery in Redchurch St, Shoreditch.


No comments: