Monday, December 27, 2010

Peter Donnelly – Rolling back home

Emdad Rahman

Paraplegic Peter Donnelly from St Helens, Merseyside has got a T6 spinal cord injury and over the Christmas break, I was able to interview this special man and find out a little bit what he is doing to raise awareness and funds for charity.

Peter told me that he is currently volunteering at the CRP in Dhaka, Bangladesh. “After I finish my 3 months here I will be heading back to the UK, but I will be travelling over land in order to raise money for the CRP in Savar, Dhaka.

The Centre for the Rehabilitation of the Paralysed (CRP) headquarters are in Savar, approximately 25km from Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh. Set in around 13 acres of land, the centre comprises an extensive range of services for disabled people as well as CRP's academic institute, the Bangladesh Health Professions Institute (BHPI) and CRP's inclusive school.

CRP moved to Savar in 1990 after eleven years operating from different premises in Dhaka. In addition to the infrastructure necessary for CRP's work, CRP-Savar has been expertly landscaped and provides a peaceful and relaxing environment which is such a vital component of the rehabilitation process. Many different types of trees and flowers are in bloom in different seasons so there is always a colourful display of flora. Sports and recreational facilities are used by CRP's patients, staff and students of BHPI. A large multi-purpose hall provides facilities for cultural events, conferences, meetings, sports events and patient activities.

Services which are located at CRP-Savar include:

·        A 100-bed hospital for spinal injuries
·        Operating theatre for spinal and orthopaedic surgery
·        Physiotherapy Department for in-patients and out-patients
·        Occupational Therapy Department for in-patients and out-patients
·        Halfway hostel where patients prepare for returning to their home community
·        Social Welfare Unit assisting with a variety of issues for CRP's users
·        Metal workshop which produces wheeled mobility aids and other appliances
·        Wood workshop which produces furniture to order and a range of toys
·        Special seating workshop for individually crafted seating units for disabled children
·        Orthotics and Prosthetics workshop which produces assistive devices for disabled people
·        Paediatric Unit with residential and out-patient care for disabled children
·        William and Marie Taylor School which provides inclusive education in an enabling environment
·        Bangladesh Health Professions Institute (BHPI) which trains the health professionals of tomorrow
·        Administration area ensuring the smooth and transparent operation of CRP

On his intense and gruelling challenge, Peter said: “On my way back I really would like to explore the lifestyles of wheelchair users and how they differ. To do this I would like to meet people who work in the field such as spinal units or consumer groups.”

Why Bangladesh? “I volunteered over here as I think this is an amazing organisation and I have experience that would be useful over here. I mainly work with wheelchair skills, sport and patient education but also do some work with the counsellors and fundraising.

Peter told me about Al-Amin (16), who comes from a poor family and was working as a fruit picker when he fell and broke his neck, leaving him with no movement below the neck.

“Al-Amin arrived at CRP with 35 pressure sores and has spent the last 2 years in bed while they heal. Because of the help provided by CRP both in healthcare and helping his parents find employment Al-Amin is hopeful for the future and intends to return to school when he is discharged. 

“Money donated to CRP will help people like Al-Amin go on to live as independently as possible by providing them with rehabilitation, providing them with mobility aids, education about their injury and employment opportunities so they can support themselves.”

I asked Peter to inform me of the nature of the disability that has affected his daily living: “The higher the spinal cord injury then the more function is lost. Low injury cases like me lose the ability to walk but people who break their neck can lose hand function, the ability to move their arms and respiratory problems.”

Peter has been in Dhaka since October 2010. He said: “My journey will start on the 22nd January.”

“I was amazed at the spinal rehabilitation services offered here at the CRP and so I chose to come and volunteer here as rehabilitation and independence after a spinal cord injury is something that I am very interested in.”

Peter has enjoyed the hospitality of the natives of the luscious and green country of Bangladesh: “Bangladeshi people are very friendly, offering help most of the time when I need it.

I enquired whether developing nations held negative attitudes towards the disabled. In some cultures, disabled people are seen as omens of bad luck. Disabled children are discarded at birth, and those who survive are left to fend for the rest of their life through various acts of begging.

“I feel like there is something of a negative stereotype against disabilities,” said Peter, “but I don't know that can be placed only in developing countries. Admittedly things are much easier in the UK but there are many people working to make change over here.

“Communities should be understanding of disabilities and not treat people differently because they have a disability, if they don't understand what is affecting a person then ask them.

“Always ask if they require help instead of assuming that they do. Make public areas that people may want to access as easy as possible, put a ramp in where possible.”

Before I interviewed Peter, he wrote to me – “If you could help me tell people about what I am doing I would very much like to hear from you, it's not just about raising money it's also showing people what is possible with a disability.” Quick as a flash, I emailed him back within seconds. I thrive on fleeting moments of contact with people on my journey through life, and our exchange has been nothing short of inspiring.

Lincoln Rhyme, forensic genius and brilliant criminologist and Quadriplegic may be my favourite, but Paraplegic Peter Donnelly is definitely a very close second! 

www.justgiving.com/rollingbackhome


No comments: