Monday, December 13, 2010

Interview with the BBC's Maruf Ahmed

Emdad Rahman: It seems like forever that Maruf Ahmed, the British Bangladeshi and established household name has been working with the BBC as a broadcast journalist.

For five years, the Luton lad has combined his day job with a popular radio presenters role with the Beeb.

Maruf finds combining his passion with a regular day job is the best way to move forward: "I feel that I have achieved a lot as I have not had to worry about money. My bread and butter job pays the bills, and this gives me the freedom to serve the community with entertainment, news and views via the BBC.

"I believe it's the way forward," say's Maruf. Hold down a steady day job that pays the bills, whilst pursuing a hobby – in my case its journalism.

"Many people do the same, be it as a Musician, community activist or a Politician."

Since Maruf moved to live in England, he has rapidly become a very popular and an iconic figure amongst the community. As a journalist he is most at home covering news, views, culture and issues that affect society.

A keen interest in journalism became apparent during Maruf's teens – "I developed an interest in news from a very early age.

As a student in Bangladesh, I regularly wrote reports and summaries of events. I merely strengthened and harnessed this passion when I took a role with the BBC."

Maruf cites Nelson Mandela as a great role model and influence: "Here we have a man who was horrifyingly demonised on a global scale.

"Even worse, he was imprisoned for over a quarter of a century.

Mandela returned to lead his country. His forgiveness and spirit, as well as his obsession with uniting the Rainbow Nation is a lesson that will be carved into history."

In terms of journalistic influences, Maruf surprisingly has none: "Well, not one, but many," he laughs aloud.
"I hesitate to follow one style from one individual and prefer to adopt the best from the cream of the talent out there.

"If I'm watching a presenter or listening to them I'll make mental notes on aspects that are appealing and would enhance my own repertoire of presentation skills.

"This is the advice that I offer to young people looking to progress in their careers."
Doubling up as a community activist, Maruf is a well known face in the Bangladeshi community. In Bedfordshire he is pipped as a future Labour Councillor.

During Ramadan 2010 I was fortunate enough to meet Luton Mayor Tom Shaw, and be given a grand tour of the youth and community facilities that Maruf and his colleagues have worked to set up for Luton youth. I was also given a tour of the Shaheed Minar, the iconic Bangladeshi martyrs memorial monument in Bury Park, Luton.

"I enjoy empowering people," adds Maruf. "It gives me great pleasure to be able to support our communities and I enjoy seeing people smiling and living in harmony."

Maruf feels that Newspapers are becoming dominated by advertising and feels that media providers, reporters and Editors must pay greater attention on the accuracy of reporting that they provide to the general public: "Journalists have a huge responsibility. We often forget how influential we are. It is therefore vital that we exercise great caution and care when we report on and portray news stories and subjects.

"It's important that we differentiate between fact and fiction. Sometimes we find it hard to put a line between Michael Moore & the Da Vinci code."

Thumbs up to the BBC for supporting journalists of such a background and calibre. Full marks to the Beeb for also recognising and harnessing raw talent from the ethnic minorities.

We hope that Maruf's dulcet tones will continue to remain a fixture on the BBC radio waves for many more years to come.





No comments: