Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Residents receive Freedom of the Borough


The council bestows the honour annually on people who have made a positive contribution to the area.

This year’s recipients received the Freedom of the Borough at a special ceremony in Barking Town Hall on Friday 8 April.

John Still is the manager of Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club. He received the honour for his outstanding contribution to football and the success he has brought to the Daggers.

Speaking before the ceremony, John said: “It took me by surprise – I really was taken aback.

“I’m very grateful for it and will be accepting the honour on behalf of everyone at the club. The captain sails the ship, but not without the help of everyone else.”

John described his seven years  of managing the Daggers as “a fairytale”.
He added: “When I started, the club was 13th in the Conference and we’re now in League One.

“It’s been great to help players’ progress with their football careers, and we’ve also set up an academy to train local talent.”

Dagenham woman Rita Giles also receives the honour after a lifetime of voluntary service in the borough.

She chairs both the Barking and Dagenham Tenants’ and Residents’ Federation and the Ibscott and Wyhill Tenants’ and Residents’ Association. Both groups help deal with local issues and monitor public services.

Rita said: “I came to Dagenham when I was four and have volunteered in the community for 60 years, helping all sorts of groups such as Scouting, community halls, safer neighbourhood teams and police committees.

“I was also a magistrate at Barking Magistrates’ Court for more than 23 years.

“I believe that community matters. We live here and want it to be a good, peaceful, and happy place to live.

“It’s trying to make people understand that the community is what you make it and it’s all about working towards the better things in life.”

Also at the ceremony on Friday, Charles Fairbrass MBE and George Brooker OBE became Honorary Aldermen as a reward for long service to the borough.

George spent more than 50 years on the council, including a 12-year stint as leader before retiring in 1998.

He said: “I feel very proud to be given the title of Alderman. It’s absolutely marvellous. It associates me with the council again.

“My 51 years were wonderful and I enjoyed every moment. I travelled all over England and Europe for conferences and it certainly broadened my outlook on life.

“I’ve missed having that direct contact.”

Also receiving Freedom of the Borough were former councillor Sid Kallar MBE and Cllr Jeanne Alexander, the current cabinet member for crime, justice and communities.

No comments: