Friday, June 17, 2011

Man in black


Emdad Rahman
Im glad to say that I've earned my refereeing stripes after being put in charge of the Smithy Street pupils and parents/ carers football 5 a side tournament as part of Father's week.

With the lack of notice I wasnt able to don my referee attire but my traditional dress in my customary colour added a new tint to the concept of the "man in black."

We were also involved in a recording for a report on Father's week by a Ukranian TV Station. And no, my in play decisions will not be mulled over by Ukraine's very own equivalent of Lineker, Shearer, Hansen, Lawrenson and Dixon.

Summing it up as the man in the middle I thought I was more Pierluigi Collina meets Derek Trotter - not a bad on pitch personality I'd say. I even threatened to brandish the cards to competitive parents a few times.
It was a very good event with six teams and plenty of banter, enjoyment and camaraderie.

On a high I texted Derek Bennett, the boroughs football development officer after the final. Derek let me join a cohort two tears ago to study for our badges.

The man in black has one of the hardest jobs in the world, what with all the technology scrutinising the finer details of every single blade of grass on a pitch.

After taking charge for a few hours, I think I quite like this refereeing lark and may actually take on a few more games.

No comments: