Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mayor welcomes Met Police decision on EDL march

Lutfur Rahman, the Executive Mayor of Tower Hamlets has welcomed news relating to the application of a ban for the proposed September EDL march in Tower Hamlets.

“I have just learned that the Acting Metropolitan Police Commissioner has made an application to the Home Secretary to ban all marches in certain areas of London (including Tower Hamlets) for 30 days starting 2nd September 2011.

I applaud the decision of Acting Commissioner and I now call upon the Home Secretary to act swiftly in confirming that such a banning order is now in place.

I would like to thank the thousands of people who supported our efforts to get this march banned. I am grateful for the support I have received from residents across the borough, leaders across London and the country, local politicians, faith leaders, trade unionists, and business leaders

Together, we will continue to reject any attempts to divide our community and will celebrate the diversity that makes our borough great.

I would now ask that people from across the country who had planned to march in support of our cause to stand down.  
You have helped us achieve our aim and we no longer need a mass show of support.”

No comments: