Friday, March 16, 2012

Nice and threesy as Gerrard destroys Everton

Liverpool 3-0 Everton: The view from the stand



Liverpool have the bragging rights and revel in glory today after completing a comprehensive thrashing of Everton in the 217th Merseyside derby.

I was full of zeal, zest and gusto after my travelling mate Sid had roused our contingent with the tactics Kenny Dalglish would employ on the night – it was side-splittingly entertaining and pure comedy genius.

During a quiet moment at Cannock services I told him that it felt like I was subjected to a vigorous pre match team talk and rub down from Omid Djalili.

I joined the Hertfordshire LFC Supporters Club at a packed Anfield to witness the talismanic Steven Gerrard demolish the Blues.

On his 400th appearance, Gerrard scored a hat trick, the first in a Merseyside derby since Ian Rush’s four goal salvo at Goodison Park in 1982, and the first at home since Fred Howe in 1935.

Picking up from an attempt at goal by Martin Kelly, the Anfield amulet superbly lobbed Tim Howard to open proceedings on 36 minutes.

On 51 minutes Luis Suarez beat two defenders before Gerrard pounded the net, whipping in his second in front of a rapturous Kop.

Deep into injury it was Suarez again who assisted, unselfishly squaring to enable Gerrard to apply the coup de grace on an unforgettable night at Anfield.

Speaking to liverpoolfc.tv Pepe Reina said: "We all love playing against Everton because they are special games. For local lads like Stevie, Spearo or Carra, those games mean a lot - and the rest of us know how important they are for the club."

Having rested key personnel in anticipation for the weekends FA Cup game against Sunderland, Everton rarely threatened to inflict a straight fourth loss on Kenny Dalglish’s men. Phil Neville, Leon Osman, Johnny Heitinga and Nikica Jelavic were all left on the bench.

Steven Pienaar wasted Everton’s best chance, skyeing his effort into the Kop.

A cross from Stewart Downing and a near miss by Martin Kelly had me reaching forward so much that I toppled forward melodramatically. Apologising to the gentleman in front I received a small round of cheers for my clumsiness.

As Everton offered bursts of attacking intent, the Kop paid homage to David Moyes. “Ten more years, ten more years,” they roared in unison.

After 2-0 I’d said to my friend Mosh that we needed a Gerrard hat trick to really make this a memorable visit for us and the skipper obliged, lashing in from close range after being served by Luis Suarez on a platter.

It’s not new to me I bragged – I was there when Gerrard scored three against Napoli in the Europa League.

Speaking through the club website, Gerrard thanked his team mates: "To beat Everton is always special, so to get three goals is that little bit extra.

"But I have to give my teammates a special mention, especially Luis Suarez - he put two on a plate for me.

"It was a great team performance and a clean sheet - everything we wanted from the game, we got."

With ten games to go, Liverpool are ten points off fourth. The Reds are well overdue for an extended set of win results. Gerrard has called for consistency and if each remaining game is seen as a cup final, coupled with a few most welcome slip ups from Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea then anything is possible.

No comments: