Thursday, March 14, 2013

Heavy hitting Khaliq Miah is going places

Emdad Rahman: Khaliq Miah from West Drayton is on the up.

The eighteen year old bruiser has won 55 of his 70 amateur fights and I traded blows with this British Bangladeshi powerhouse at the recent “No Fear, No Mercy” United Kingdom Boxing Union fight night at the Water Lily in Mile End.

Khaliq is coached by his Father but also travels to Plaistow, east London for extra training. It’s not an easy slog: “I travel to Plaistow station in east London by train and live in west Drayton, a town 10mins from Heathrow airport. It takes me around 2 hours to get there and back, and I train 3-4 days a week minimum.”

Khaliq has been boxing for ten years and dreams of becoming a professional: “I have reached 4 ABA finals, losing on close points decisions.

”My Ambition is to have what every true boxer wants a boxing, a legacy and to become world champion.

On the night, Khaliq won his bout by default after his opponent failed to turn up.

No comments: