Sunday, July 14, 2013

British 10K 2013

Today was 28°c today and a week into the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. I was determined to fast so there were no grey areas on that front. I decided on a slow, continuous run with absolutely no heroics. 

During the fun parts before the race Spidey met his true and worthy nemesis in me, and a group of us runners staked a claim for inclusion in the Ashes test squads.

My mantra is always to keep it moving and play the crowd, and I stuck to that plan diligently, often zoning out for periods. It worked a treat as I completed my most comfortable 10k ever. In fact the zoomg out worked so well that it was about thirty metres after I had passed the finish line that I realised I'd completed it!!

With less than an hour to go till sunset I’m still feeling comfortable but will now prepare and down a few jumbo glasses of the non alcoholic lemon, lime Mojito with crushed ice and mint that Sam has expertly taught me to make. This will accompany our gut busting feast to break the day’s fast. Mosh is taking me out for Halwa after Taraweeh prayers tonight so a few busy hours lie ahead. 

The thirst aspect had been playing on my mind in the run up to this annual event and despite coping extremely well it has hammered home a few stark realities. 

With this in mind I've learnt a big lesson which I want to share:

Thousands will travel miles for their basic daily water usage, something available to us with a mere flick of our wrist.

At sunset many around the world will struggle to break their fast with even a glass of water, and some may just have to settle for that – yes, a glass of water and nothing else to accompany that.

Nearly a billion people around the planet have no basic access to water. On average, women in developing countries walk 6 kilometers a day to collect water. 3.41 million people die from water, sanitation and hygiene-related causes each year. In Africa alone, people spend 40 billion hours every year walking for water and it is women and children who usually bear the burden of water collection.

I run and volunteer for the Whitechapel Mission because I believe in the fantastic work managed by Sue and Tony Miller in alleviating the suffering of the homeless and destitute.

There's enough for everyone and I hope that we can all contribute some time and effort, advice and well wishes towards helping to eradicate hunger, thirst and homelessness. 

It’s really easy – We all need to contribute… very little.

A million thanks to my family and all friends for their unstinting support.

The Whitechapel Mission 

·         27% of rough sleepers have been on the streets for 2 years or more. Rough sleeping up by 47% this year.
·         109,700 breakfasts served during this year, an average of 300 a day. A 9% rise on last year.
·         103 people received help in claiming benefits.
·         30% of people supported by the Whitechapel Mission have been in care at some point.
·         27% of rough sleepers have been on the streets for 2 years or more. Rough sleeping up by 47% this year.
·         109,700 breakfasts served during this year, an average of 300 a day. A 9% rise on last year.

www.whitechapel.org.uk

No comments: