Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Day at the Whitechapel Mission



"The first time I was homeless was when I went to Atlanta. I was in a homeless shelter, then when I got a job I used to miss the curfew for the shelter. So I ended up sleeping outside in the streets."

Jay Electronica

My best wishes to all my celebrating friends. The Whitechapel Mission accepts everyone who visits and this morning fellow volunteers and I served breakfast to our homeless guests. I missed Phillip in his absence. He has had serious health problems this year and I pray he regains his strength again. 

Brendan, Bernadette, Fiona, Conor, Jim, Nikki and I made up the team serving today. We were assisted by Sue and Tony and the atmosphere was buzzing throughout. 

We served the guests with breakfast and they all received cake, mince pies and a small festive gift. 

It's not just about food though. A lot of the visitors just want to chat and feel human. It's a harsh world outside. Some even help with emptying dishes into bins. At the Mission they get a chance for some respite, some have a nap. Others shower, shave, refresh and charge their mobiles. There was lots of cake today and everyone got a sugar rush. 

105,136 breakfasts have been served at the Whitechapel Mission during this year, an average of 288 a day.

In 2015 I'm running the British 10k for homeless guests who visit the Whitechapel Mission. If you'd like to sponsor then please click this link https://www.justgiving.com/numero07/

Hope you all have a great holiday with your families and loved ones. 

No comments: