Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Befriending our elderly




There is a disturbing sketch etched deep into my memory banks of a bewildered elderly gentleman being told by a repair technician that his phone is fine. The agitated man replies with tears in his eyes, "Then why don't my children never call me."

Heartbreaking.

It seems nobody has any time anymore with all our modern living. The gadgets which are meant to ease and provide convenience in life are the root cause of our lethargy and sheer inactivity. We busy ourselves with the useless and mundane, whining and squeaking when required to live out a little civic responsibility. 

During our daily grind it's important to set aside a little time to do something a little bit alternative. 

It takes literally seconds to make an impact, forge a bond or make a positive change in our communities. 

Yes, you read that right! Literally seconds. 

I just spent minutes calling up my three elderly friends. As most of you know, this is a voluntary weekly routine and I absolutely love chatting to them. Hilda shares my love for all things football and we talk about the scores. She may be beautiful, well spoken and glamorous but she ain't perfect - She's a Spurs fan unfortunately. It's a longer chat with her and she is always keen to hear about me. Hilda asks me about my coaching, volunteering, the family. She boosts me with encouraging advice. See, it's not all one way - it's mutually beneficial. 

This may be a small role I play but no doubt the impact is immense. With the cold harsh winter months approaching we have no excuse whatsoever. It is our responsibility to check on our elderly, the infirm and vulnerable. It doesn't even have to be unfamiliar people either. We can start closer to home: parents, uncles, aunts, neighbours, friends - Call, text, Skype, email or pigeon carrier. It doesn't matter. Contact them. 

Forgive me, if I sound like I'm preaching - That is not my style, nor is it my intention. By sharing this blog I hope some readers may be reassured and inspired to take that step towards trying to make our world a better place. 

We need more people from our communities to be active in this manner. I promise you won't regret it. 



No comments: