Friday, June 02, 2017

Umrah update: Day 7: Humans of Makkah:

The Hajj and Umrah are perfect examples of humanity uniting for a common purpose. There is not a single nation on earth that is not represented and reflected in the ethnic make up of the people who visit and the experience of being amongst such a global family is a magical one. No other place in the world can boast such wonderful diversity and togetherness.

I enjoyed a fleeting and chance encounter this morning at Fajr (early morning prayers).

I don't speak Indonesian, he doesn't speak English but no words were needed. "Indonesia" he proclaimed loudly" and beamed a full moon smile as he sat his good self down next to me. "London," I replied proudly and we shook hands like long lost friends.

I don't think he caught my name and I certainly didn't get his. We sat next to each other for the next 30 minutes just exchanging smiles - It was enough and I felt energised and full of life as I formed a very powerful human bond in the with this stranger.

After Fajr he gave me the tightest hug and kissed both my cheeks. I returned the favour by placing a smacker on his forehead. I had underestimated the extent of the lingual skills of this benevolent gent and he said "thank you" to me. We then turned around and submerged into the huge crowd with our families.

It's Friday and the sheer mass of the crowd was beyond crazy as more visitors and also locals crammed into Makkah to pray Jumuah on the most important Muslim day of the week in the most auspicious of months. In fact things were so tight it took us 45 minutes to get back to our manor on Ibrahim Khalil Road.

I think it's safe to say I'll never see this uncle again in my lifetime but I feel a warm glow and feel all the better for meeting him. This is life in a nutshell. We may know people all our lives or meet them for seconds but only some will positively imprint on and impact our lives.

Aku dah buat kawan seumur hidup aku! 

No comments: