Monday, May 25, 2020

The Corona Chronicles - Happy Istanbul Day!


On today’s #hccfoodbank drop I noticed the roads are busier and there’s quite a few reckless motorists who steer too close and drive too fast!

I felt a little nervous today and there were profanities a couple of times. At one point I realised I was muttering to myself, “At least I’ve ate Salam a plate of Salam Jones’ Hidol Satni!”

I’m more about front liners in general and the fantastic work everyone does which very often goes unnoticed and uncredited - cleaners, dinner ladies, teaching assistants, transporters, police, porters, orderlies, shelf stackers - You get the drift!

In solidarity with my club mates who have been taking part in the NHS appreciation flag relay I jogged the small distance to Barking Park to receive the flag from Timi and it was a real bank holiday treat to hand over to club legend Sam Veerasamy, who is still going strong well into his 70’s.

Sam has been an inspiration to me since I joined the club and is someone who only took up running after he officially retired. I’ve lost count how many marathons and half marathons he’s completed.

My club mate John Hughes is the brains behind this excellent initiative and I’m proud to have played my part.

Each runner signs the flag and makes a donation which will support the NHS.

Well done everyone for taking part.

On the subject of frontline workers I want to mention Yahya from Faircross Parade Co-op, Barking, who mans the tills, stacks the shelves and does whatever it takes to make sure the community is fed and watered!

Front liners like Yahya will never get the credit they deserve because they are not in glamour roles so I’ll just keep drumming on. I know if people in these roles who have taken sick leave or resigned from their jobs due to anxiety over handling front line roles.

Lastly... #HappyIstanbulDay


No comments: