Thursday, May 28, 2020

The Corona Chronicles - Rough sleepers outreach!


I went to visit Nighat and Chef today at Humdum to collect a backpack full of sandwiches, salads, fruits and a few bottles of drinks for a local centre which supports homeless friends. 

It didn’t quite work out that way...

left the Ripple Centre, stopped off at Iceland for some home shopping and spotted a homeless pal. He got a sandwich, fruit, drink, spotted another cluster, then another famished group sitting on a bench in the town centre, and so on.

I didn’t even reach my intended destination before my stock of 37 sandwiches, plenty salads, fruit pots etc were all gone. Even the Diet Coke Nighat had given me to keep hydrated and which I’d clearly been swigging had gone. 

It may still be lockdown but many are out and about and even feel it’s safer on the streets as isolation for them is only a theory.

Humdum has been a revelation for me personally. I can walk in whenever I like to see Nighat, stock up, deliver and come back to replenish. It’s enabled me to engage with rough sleepers - who’ve always been my number one priority. 

I’m now going to add another string to the bow and focus a little on street outreach. Following the expected easing of lockdown One Thord Soup Kitchen will be firing on all cylinders again. We have been concentrating on home deliveries and hostels since Covid-19 lockdown came into effect and the volunteers are raring to go. 

Thanks to our BD Food Network #bookbikelondon and #foodbike continue to evolve for the better.

In July I will run 10k on the originally scheduled day of the London 10k. It would’ve been my 13th in a row for homeless friends who are served by the fantastic Whitechapel Mission. If anyone would like to spare a few pounds then please use this secure link and don’t forget to Giftaid - https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/er7

#thewanderinglondoner









No comments: