Saturday, May 16, 2020

The Corona Chronicles - The Whitechapel Mission


The Whitechapel Mission has remained true to nature and kept its doors open throughout the Coronavirus pandemic and lockdown to serve London’s homeless. 

The team have been practising social distancing with breakfast now being provided as a takeaway option. 

In addition to this a cold lunch is also on offer to guests. The regulars have been homed in Essex whilst recent visitors have been from the City. 

I’m pleased to report that there hasn’t been a single case of Covid-19, whether it be staff, or homeless guests. 

As part of risk evaluation volunteering has been suspended to adhere to recommendations on travelling during lockdown unless urgent.

Since 1876, The Whitechapel Mission has been called to serve the men and women caught in the cycles of poverty, hopelessness
and dependencies of many kinds, and to see their lives transformed to hope, joy and lasting productivity.

All this is done without public funding.

With no London 10k this year I haven’t been able to complete my 14th in a row so after discussing with Tony I will be doing my own 10k challenge. I’ve volunteered here almost 15 years and in my opinion a simply magnificent example of selfless service. Sue, Tony and the team have treated me like family which has been really important for me. 

Do watch this space as I will be seeking support from your good selves.

On behalf of our team at East End Covid-19 Support Abdal and I would like to thank our partners Dulal Ahmed from Crisis,  A Pavement Away, The Athenaeum Hotel and William Taylor Medi-C for a most fantastic array of fragrant toiletries.

#thewanderinglondoner

No comments: