Sunday, June 21, 2020

The Corona Chronicles: bookbikelondon century as Dad donates 100th book on Father’s Day!


If there is a real life hero it’s my Dad!

Today is the 100th book delivered by #bookbikelondon

I get my energy and drive from him. Dad paid for today’s book to be given to someone who may find it beneficial.

#bookbikelondon is a social enterprise project which involves me cycling to deliver books and crosswords to care homes, youth clubs and those who rely on books to get  through life.

Happy Father’s Day Dad - Keep being magic!

bookbike London is a social enterprise project which I started to combine my passion of cycling and books. 

bookbike is a green, free of charge service which connects people through reading. It’s a community project to supply books free of charge to elderly residential homes, hostels, prisons, hospital wards and local organisations in East London and surrounding boroughs. 

This involves me filling up a rucksack full of books and delivering to a local project or individuals.

I have been doing this in Barking, Redbridge, Newham, Tower Hamlets, Hackney. 

bookbike is about supporting people through a passionate project. During the pandemic it’s been even more important to engage with people and through my volunteering I’ve come across so much isolation amongst local residents. 

A lot of people still don’t have internet access and a book and crossword has really helped them fight off anxiety and loneliness. Thanks to Dad for helping me reach a century. He’s my inspiration and is still going strong at the age of 82.

We have been delivering food to vulnerable residents during the pandemic through our Hedgecock Community Centre Foodbank and this has enabled me to deliver a book here and there. 

bookbike london has been running from last winter since Zoinul Abidin, ahead of Universal Services at Barking & Dagenham very kindly launchd the project at the Barking Learning Centre.

No comments: