Thursday, June 09, 2022

Andy, Bailey and the Old Bill

“What are you two doing then?” enquired the nosy Policeman!”

“What does it look like,” I grunted, “two geezers having a natter inneh?”

“This is my mate Emz, and he shares free books and food,” said Andy. 

“If that’s alright with you?” I added. 

The long arm of the law looked at me funny. His two female colleagues looked slightly embarrassed. “Off you go now officer, there’s motorists out there for you to get your teeth into!”

He thought we were drug dealing of course!

Andy summed it up! “They see two dishevelled, hairy blokes, a homeless guy and a Muslim fella and they can’t help it - It’s called instant judgement.”

I told him I respect the Police a great deal but do pull them up if they fall short - Some of them just aren’t the brightest sparks. 

On the beat with East End Cycles and Docklands Football Club I got me a new buddy. 

Andy bought Bailey off a street beggar whilst he was barely a month old for £12. He had just left Pentonville Prison and after exchanging the fee and completing this unsusual transaction he saw the beggar buy a bottle of Baileys from the store - So he chose the name for his new pet friend. 

Bailey was taken to the vets who informed Andy that he was doped up on Valium so he wouldn’t cry out for his Mother. 

Homeless Andy weaned him off the Valium and at the same time he himself hasn’t touched any Class A drugs since. He had previously been on it for 15 years non stop. Andy contemplated suicide many times but says Bailey has given him purpose and a new lease of life. 

Andy loves reading biographies and I had one on Franklin Delano Roosevelt to share with him along with another one about Australia.

This was a chance meeting. I was setting up for a photo and Andy stopped by with Bailey to have a friendly chat. 

A London Assembly report estimated that the number of hidden homeless people could be up to 13 times higher than official figures.

Some of the friendliest people I have met live on the streets and have no material wealth. Many are however blessed with good manners and kindness in abundance. 

Through Bookbike London I have the pleasure of meeting such friends every day. 

#preventhomelessness #homeless #bookbikelondon #thewanderinglondoner 

#homerton #hackney #homelessness #homelesspeople 

No comments: