Friday, February 16, 2007

Poem: El Diego's boots

A dream come true
One that constantly replayed and had been easy to construe

Oh what a glorious day of sunshine it had been
The savings box emptied my smile stretched, from Bognor to Berlin

I realised that the moment was close,When I would be the proud owner of a Diego boot
You see I was the barrel chested ones latest fanclub recruit

Sprinting down to the Whitechapel Road I dragged me Mam
Dropping a shopping bag en route, breaking a jar of strawberry jam

"You wear them, you'll play like him" the shop assistant said
I believed every word as my beaming smile spread

A walking Ambassador I became, oh did I put those boots to use
On grass, tarmac and concrete, there was many a bruise
"Wear the boots," a voice said, " and the class will ooze"

The old sandpitch on the Berner Estate
Not ideal for that surface, but that was open to debate

Even wore them to school on an odd day or three
"Get them off," a hawkeyed Margaret wailed like a banshee

Dream is all I did as I wore them with honour
Yes the one and only Puma Maradona

(c) Emdad Rahman - 10.02.07
www.footballpoets.org

No comments: