Saturday, October 04, 2014

Eid with Pete

"The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it." C.C. Scott

I took a small break from family gatherings and the Eid fun-day to visit Pete at his care home. I initially went to the Hospice and saw his bed empty. I shared a joke with the nurse and asked if he had gone AWOL for Eid walkies. We had a laugh and I was told that he had been discharged and had returned to his care home. That was a relief to me as it meant that his pain treatment had gone well. It's only a short drive back so I made my way over pronto.

Pete was in great spirits. He was watching the news and switched to Formula 1. This is a great passion of his and the mechanic in him came out as he spent a good half hour taking me through the intricacies and sciences of what exactly the technical teams go through in preparing a car and monitoring performances before, during and after a race. "They earn their bread do those lot," he said. It was interesting listening, and his eyes sparkled bright as he talked.

We called Farhana who had visited and he spent ten minutes talking to her and Tamim, thanking them for the privilege of their company last Sunday. That's Pete in a nutshell for you I thought - Grateful and unselfish. Contact with the outside world rejuvenates Pete and keeps him chirpy. Farhana is convinced he can beat the Cancer and I pray she's proved right.

We took a few selfies and shared a few laughs whilst recording an Eid greeting video.

Pete is super intelligent. He's street wise and sharp as a tack. I always learn something new when I sit with him and his vivacious attitude is nothing short of endearing. Like many, he dreams of a just world free of violence, hatred and enmity.

Pete needed care from his nurse so I left. Missed Sam today but I'll be back very soon to meet up again with both these lovelies.

Pete isn't bitter. He's accepted his fate either way. He will continue to be Pete: quirky, inspiring, loyal and brave. He's a battler and will not let his condition leave him a withering wreck.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." Dr. Seuss

Eid Mubarak video from Pete - http://youtu.be/b060VcptrWw

No comments: