Saturday, November 22, 2014

Foodbank volunteering diary

"Hunger makes a thief of any man." - Pearl S. Buck (1892-1973)

Joey and I had to shift a load of longer shelf life food to the main warehouse in Bow so I joined him to lend a hand with the transportation.

It's fun catching up with Joey and the manual labour is a great workout for me. The timing is great for me too and I don't have to take out chunks of my evening.

Running a foodbank is a lot more than just stacking shelves and distributing. Amongst many roles, there's a whole science involved in arranging delieveries, collections, transportation and distribution.

We both made it onto the school newsletter too for the harvest collection.

Tower Hamlets Foodbank is having a Christmas Supermarket Collection and  volunteers are needed.

The collection will be on Saturday 29 November and will be at Waitrose Canary Wharf.

Volunteers and staff will be at the store from 9am until 5pm collecting food and other goods to provide to local people in crisis.

There are three time slots:

9am-1pm
11am-3pm
1pm-5pm

If you are able to help out on the day then please e-mail volunteers@towerhamletsfoodbank.org.uk



No comments: