Wednesday, November 04, 2015

A tribute to Peter Chatfield... One year on...

Pete died one year ago today.

I remember that night well. My aunt had passed away and I was with my cousin in Bow.

I contacted Imran and told him that he wouldn’t make the night. I’d visited the night before and Pete was not conscious. I knew it wasn’t long now and he would soon be at ease.

Imran and I agreed to meet at Queens Hospital in front of the coffee shop. I knew I wouldn’t make it but asked him to go on ahead and I would call him when I left my cousin. I didn’t want Pete to be alone in his last throes so refrained from telling Imran that I wouldn’t make it… just in case he too pulled out.

We buried him the next day. It was sombre yet an uplifting experience at the same time.

Here’s two poems for Pete. God bless Pete! May your journey be a luminous one and may your grave be enlightened – Ameen!

"I have no idea what's awaiting me, or what will happen when this all ends. For the moment I know this: there are sick people and they need curing."

Albert Camus, The Plague

Peter,

In harsh throes you plant a tree
Peter's Gift, your legacy
Happy and honest as the day is old
That razor wit broke the mould

Those who loved you all those years
Bond with your new family's tears
We beg for mercy as we rise to pray
May the lamp of good deeds shine your way

If I could keep one thing from the past
That cheeky smile will always last
Memories bruv have grown and grown
Pete, you'll never walk alone

© emdad rahman

Dedicated to a simply wonderful friend #peterchatfield

Peter Chatfield

One day Pete said to me
"Here, grab that black book off the floor
"I know you've got an injury
"But I'll still back you a score"

© emdad rahman

No comments: