Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Corona Chronicles - Get well soon Stu!


Met my good friend Stu today and told him that #onethirdsoupkitchen had served yesterday. He looks really bedraggled and told me he’d recently been stabbed by another homeless person who seemed mentally unfit.

Poor Stu needed stitches at the hospital.

He says he needs help with paperwork and ID and has a lawyer who’s helping him get his matters in order.

Stu tells me that although he has a place to sleep at the local hostel it’s not easy living there, with little privacy and difficulty with social distancing.

He’s not complaining - I can testify Stu’s not like that all. He’s an educated and gracious gentleman who’s fallen on hard times following a long career in the army.

Stu has a story that will resonate with most people - especially the working class. He lost his job, struggled to pay bills, buy food and generally stay afloat. Unemployment has had a massive impact on his mental and physical health. All this has led to a rapid downward spiral and apparent loss of control.

Stu isn’t bitter though. He loves reading James Patterson and the bible (not particularly in that order though!).

Today he told me, “I’m rising Emz, I’m making a full comeback son!” I don’t doubt him. People have recovered from worse. It’s just that he seems out of it and there’s something in his eyes that’s got me a little worried.

After lockdown we’ve agreed that he might volunteer at the soup kitchen.

It’s a start I suppose.

No comments: