Thursday, June 11, 2020

The Corona Chronicles - Period Poverty


According to Action Aid Period poverty affects women and girls all over the world. Access to sanitary products, safe, hygienic spaces in which to use them, and the right to manage menstruation without shame or stigma, is essential for anyone who menstruates.

But for many, this is not a reality. This is not just a potential health risk - it can also mean women and girls’ education, well-being, and sometimes entire lives are affected.

Full Fact UK describe period poverty as the term used to describe when women and girls struggle or are unable to afford menstrual products and the impact this has on them.

Our #humdumuk hub is a happy ship and it’s great to catch up with the #BDfoodnetwork family to catch up, bounce ideas and share practises.

Every time I meet this bunch I come away with sound new ideas.

Apart from fresh fruit and veg Nighat gave me twenty sanitary pads  and sanitary kits which went like hot cakes when I did my rough sleepers street outreach cycle round a little later. 

My rather large rucksack was empty within ten minutes. I had to put aside ten packs for the fair ladies at the Ryedale Centre homeless hostel where the rest of the fruit and veg were dropped off.

Period poverty is very real ladies and gentleman and is  nothing short of a human embarrassment.

#thewanderinglondoner


No comments: