Monday, June 08, 2020

The Corona Chronicles - Supported accommodation for homeless friends!


The thing with rough sleeping friends is you don’t know what their destination is from one day to the next.

Barking & Dagenham seems a bit of a magnet during Covid-19 and I’ve bumped into quite a few people who I’ve had the pleasure of their company at #onethirdsoupkitchen

I met Marie in the Town Centre today and we had a chat. She has had to leave her hostel as she is needs to be as far away from a particular person as possible for her safety and well being.

There are many rough sleepers like Marie who feel safer on the streets rather than within the four walls of a residential home. She really appreciates the efforts made for her but her sanity and state of mind come first.

It says a lot to me when a person feels more at ease on the streets and begs the question... Should more investment be made in social or permanent supported housing? I feel a cool, kind hearted lady like Marie can get herself together again with a little help and assisted living support.

It would do wonders for her well being and mental health in general.

Ruh sent me a new sleeping bag for Manya and inspiring six year old Princess Amaira had bought sanitary items and toiletries with her parents Almaruf and Nazia. I made a judgement call and passed the contents of my rucksack onto Marie as she is just as needy at this time. I’ll just have to repeat the trick again for Manya.

Our plans don’t always go accordingly and there’s always plot twists and turns.

#thewanderinglondoner



No comments: