Tuesday, December 22, 2009

El Principe - Enzo Francescoli Uriarte

Willowy artistic offensive midfielder
Perfect visual rendering of elegance
Starred and skippered the Chárrua
72 times did the national dance

Marseille adopted Le prince
Montevideo to the famed French bay
Zizou Zidane watched awestruck
Dreaming of emulating the Prince one day

With serene poise he’d pass, hold, shoot
Francescoli simply footballing chic
Clarified why Uruguay once a force
Iconic status with a polished technique

Arriving from Montevideo Wanderers
Club de Racing Paris
Old Continent with Cagliari and Torino
River Plate swansong for his jubilee

Chilena at Mar del Plata
Four time Golden Boot winner
Cherished cycle kick against Polska
Hat trick with the Copa America

Young Enzo rejected by Penarol
For being too wiry and thin
Panache, finesse, élan, flamboyance
Orchestrated play with a violin

Number 7
© Emdad Rahman
www.football-poems.com

"The truth is that I achieved much more than I ever thought I would when I turned professional. I played at two World Cup finals, and I'm proud to say that I gave my all every time I took to the field. I know I didn't play for clubs like Juventus or FC Barcelona, but it would be wrong of me to complain about that after everything football has given me."

No comments: