Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The Corona Chronicles - #bookbikelondon and London’s Homeless!


They’re homeless, not crazy! #thewanderinglondoner

#bookbikelondon was in and around #spitalfields today with the focus on #roughsleepers and #homeless friends

One fella was in a tent near the #nomadicgardens and Greg in a sleeping bag near the #icantbreathe mural in Allen Gardens.

He was in the shade when I arrived in the park to meet and greet people with books and woke up when the heat of the sun started to warm up his little spot in the shade.

He went to the bushes to change and probably a quick slash and saw me taking photos of my bike and books next to the #graffiti wall. He asked if he could sit in the shot and I said to knock himself out.

Greg’s got unlucky and lost his job and it’s cost him a relationship. His depression has led to drink, to drugs and he uses the Whitechapel Mission for his daily food and drink intake.

Others were enjoying the sun on park benches. I cycled up to the nearby homeless shelter where more books were received by some more happy customers.

The Literacy Trust have been really generous to #bookbikelondon and today we’ve shared 16 books on my trusty #santandercycle including To Kill a Mockingbird from The London Enterprise Academy. 

I’m fussy and don’t hand them out to anybody who’s not a reader or who can’t make good use of a precious book.

A young lady aged 6/7 came running UK and asked me for a book. I spotted her parent jogging up to tell her off and apologise to me. Luckily I had four additional kiddie books to pass on.

That’s 20 books today... Happy days all round!

#coronachronicles #theanfieldtourist #thewanderinglondoner

No comments: