Thursday, July 30, 2020

The Corona Chronicles - My own Santander Cycle!


I’m over the moon to have a Santander Cycle named after me today by TFL and receive an honorary bike, which bears my name on unique gold livery.

It’s their 10th year anniversary and I was invited to pick up my cycle and attend a photoshoot. Thank you to David Eddington, TfL’s Head of Cycle Hire for the presentation.

More than 94 million cycle hires have been made since TfL launched its flagship scheme on 30 July 2010.

Today I have also completed my Lonely Orphans #100MileChallenge for Orphans today!

Two bonuses in one day. Naturally, I used this limited edition Santander Cycle for my volunteering and kickstarted its new life with one food parcel drop and one book, To Kill A Mockingbird, donated by The London Enterprise Academy.

Transport for London (TfL) is celebrating a successful decade of cycle hire in the capital, ten years on from the launch of its flagship cycling scheme. On 30 July 2010, TFL introduced cycle hire to Londoners with 350 docking stations across eight London boroughs.

  • More than 94 million cycle hires have been made since TFL launched its flagship scheme on 30 July 2010.
  • TfL’s cycle hire scheme has led a revolution in cycling in the capital, offering Londoners flexible and affordable access to bikes across the city.
  • More than half of cycle hire users in London today say they started cycling because of the scheme.

Today, these numbers have more than doubled: Londoners now have access to 781 docking stations and more than 12,000 bikes, with an additional 1,700 new bikes currently being added to the fleet.

Cycling in London has more than doubled since 2000. TfL’s cycle hire scheme has been at the forefront of this cycling boom over the last decade, contributing to the largest increase in cycling in London since records began.

I’m glad to be a part of this revolution and grateful to everyone for your fantastic support.

#coronachronicles #santandercycles #theanfieldtourist #thewanderinglondoner




No comments: